All recent research sustain that television and computer are having a negative influence on our mind’s developing and functioning. The time we spend in front of the TV or the computer affect us deeply. We do not analyze anymore the received information which means that we assimilate it as it is.
Children or adults … the new technology has an effect on us all. The most exposed to this influence are still the children because they don’t have the ability to resist to the hypnotic pressure TV and PC exert on them.
Among the negatives effects of these two technologies are the next ones:
- generate a passive mental attitude and behavior – it seems that we become less vigilant, less persevering, less involved in finding the solution to a problem and with a low level of will. We end up being bored, extremely dependent, without inventiveness or interest.
- reduce the left hemisphere’s developing – it is known that the right hemisphere is the center of the imagination and emotion and the left one is for thinking and language. Television means image and every information is transmitted by visual or audio channel. In this situation the left hemisphere is not stimulated at all. The thinking and speaking aren’t implicated in receiving the information and because of it it’s more and more used the expression “weak reasoners”.
- reduce the front head cortex developing – the information can’t be analyzed in time by the brain because of the image’s speed on the screen. So the front head cortex is out of function.
- decrease the intelligence level and intellectual performance – intelligent and capable people are the ones which have a good and quick communication between the two hemispheres and also separately. A normal development of the brain implies a simultaneous stimulation of the two hemispheres which doesn’t happen watching TV or playing to the computer.
- learning disabilities – this means the incapacity of learning something structured, the inability to make conscious effort to learn, the impossibility to listen to a simple speech or to pay attention to something.
- transmitting the information directly to the subconscious – TV has the “power” to send the messages straight to our subconscious. The viewer doesn’t have the time to control and to be aware of this “intrusion” and the connotation of information.
- attention problems – the most known and severe one is the ADHD syndrome (Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder).
Children should never be left alone and uncontrolled in front the TV or the computer, especially when they are very young. As for adults, it is not a good strategy to try to relax in front the TV or the computer because the existent stress and irritability will increase. – Psychologist, Nicoleta Cramaruc